History of the Church
The Farwell Norwegian Lutheran Church was organized in 1891. In April of 1892, the congregation bought a vacant schoolhouse south of town for $75 and moved it into town. In 1907, the existing church was built at the corner of Bertrand and North streets. The building committee consisted of John S. Irgens, A.S. Irgens, Jacob Jacobson, Lars Ormseth, L. Larson, William Max, O.H. Belgum and Pastor B.A. Benson. The new church was dedicated on November 3rd, 1907, and operated until 1991.
In 2017, 110 years after its dedication, the Farwell Norwegian Lutheran Church was restored by a great-grandson of John and Emma Irgens with the hope that it can once again be used and enjoyed by the for years to come.